OUT OF THE LABS AND INTO THE STREETS….
Here’s something you don’t see everyday: at a rally organized by The Natural History Museum and ClimateTruth.org, more than 500 climate scientists took to the streets alongside Indigenous leaders and frontline community groups.
The world paid attention: we captured hundreds of news headlines across the globe, and changed the narrative from “scientists under attack” to “scientists fighting back”.
In the face of threats from the incoming administration and Congress, momentum to speak out has been growing in the scientific community. Scientists and science institutions are standing up for climate science research and evidence-based climate policy. And we’re building powerful pro-science coalitions with Indigenous and frontline communities–coalitions strong enough to defend truth and build a safe and equitable future for all.
Check out the highlights and footage from this inspiring rally and a round-up of media coverage below.
ABC World News Tonight: Climate Science Showdown
ABC News National:
(1) Clinging to Hairspray, Trump Casts Cloud of Fear Over Climate Scientists
(2) Lab Coats vs. Climate Change: Scientists Rally for Research
ABC Local SF: Scientists Protest Trump Over Climate Change at SF Conference
CBS Local SF: Hundreds of climate scientists rally against President-elect Trump
CNN: Trump appointees cause climate change panic
Online and print news
(1) Scientists Prepare to Fight for Their Work During the “Trumpocene”
(2) Op-Ed by Michael Mann: I’m a scientist who has gotten death threats. I fear what may happen under Trump
(3) Scientists are frantically copying U.S. climate data, fearing it might vanish under Trump
(4) Obama official urges scientists to fight disinformation under Trump
(1) This is not normal – climate researchers take to the streets to protect science
(2) ‘The Time Has Never Been More Urgent’ at the World’s Largest Earth Science Event
The Atlantic: Are Climate Scientists Ready for Trump?
Nature: Is Donald Trump pushing more scientists towards political activism?
AP: Lab Coats vs. Climate Change: Scientists rally for research (140+ outlets including US News & World Report and Washington Times)
Yahoo news: Hundreds Of Climate Scientists Rally Against President-Elect Trump
VICE Motherboard: Climate Scientists Protest the Trump Administration in San Francisco
(1) Climate scientists vow to stand up to Trump
(2) Climate scientist who got death threats says he fears more attacks under Trump
(3) Climate scientist wins major court battle just in time for Trump administration
Buzzfeed: Climate Scientists Split Over How To Survive Trump
Eos: Fearful of Trump, Hundreds in San Francisco Rally for Science
ClimateWire: Climate Scientists Prepare for Battle
Christian Science Monitor: Copying countdown: Trump-wary scientists’ plan to preserve climate data
(1) Trump’s Election Leaves Scientists In A Climate Of Uncertainty
(2) KOMO Radio: http://my.tvey.es/a3HKm
Pacifica Radio (~45 minutes in): The Pacifica Evening News, Weekdays – December 13, 2016
The New Yorker: Rex Tillerson’s State of Denial
FiveThirtyEight: Scientists Protest Climate-Change Deniers Among Trump’s Cabinet Picks
GOOD Magazine: Climate Scientists Just Showed How They’d Resist The Trump Presidency
Live Science: Hundreds of Scientists Rally to Protect Climate Science
Desmog Blog: Hundreds of Scientists and Supporters Gather to Rally Against Attacks on Science
SF Gate: Geophysical Union scientists protest Trump appointments
Environmental Research Web (blog): AGU Fall Meeting 2016: Climate communication – hated and against scientific training
Take Part: Climate Scientists Take to the Streets to Protest Trump
Yale Climate Connections: Protesters Fear ‘War on Science’
Weather Underground: Hundreds of Scientists Rally in San Francisco to Stand Up For Science
Quartz: Trump’s skepticism about climate change is turning scientists into activists
Daily Camera: Boulder scientists question threat to climate data under Trump, caution against overreaction
Reveal News: Will scientists fight back if Trump attacks research?
San Luis Obisbo Tribune: letter to the editor, Fighting fossil fuels is about clean air, not just climate change
Many thanks to all the organizations that helped promote the rally, including Amazon Watch, Greenpeace USA, Sierra Club SF Bay Chapter, Oil Change International, Communities For A Better Environment, Center for Biological Diversity, Alliance for Climate Education, Digital Smoke Signals, and Idle No More SF Bay.