MAY 6th @ Eugene, OR
12–2 pm PDT
Art, Activism, and Ceremony
ONLINE and in-person: 12-1:30 pm at the EMU Ballroom, University of Oregon
1:30-2 pm outside on the EMU Green
Activism can bring us to a better world, Art to new ways of imagining it, and Ceremony to an understanding of the sacred space relationality. The presenters will share their experience in bringing together art, ceremony, and activism in some of the most significant environmental and social justice campaigns over the past decade within and beyond the Pacific Northwest.
– Barbara Muraca, Professor of Philosophy, University of Oregon (Facilitator)
– Esther Stutzman (Yoncalla), Traditional Storyteller and Educator
– JoDe Goudy (Yakama), Former Yakaka Nation Chairman; Vice President, Se’Si’Le
– Jewell James (Lummi), Master Carver, House of Tears Carvers
– Jay Julius (Lummi), Former Lummi Nation Chairman; Fisherman and President, Se’Si’Le
– Sequoyah Julius (Lummi), co-Executive Director, Se’Si’Le
– Beka Economopoulos, Director, The Natural History Museum
Made possible with support from Myer Memorial Trust, Hewlett Foundation, and 4Culture.